Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Review: Frenemies by Megan Crane


I ordered this book when Barnes and Noble was having a fantastic sale. It started out as a fun read by the pool one day, and then I didn't touch it for a month. Until yesterday when I needed something to pass my time at lunch...and then I couldn't put it down. I finished it last night.

In Frenemies, Megan introduces us to Augustus "Gus", who is 29 and just found her boyfriend Nate that she's been dating for 4 months is cheating on her with her "friend" Helen. If anyone could imagine how hurtful that would be, you wouldn't be surprised that 2 weeks later she's singing "Piece of my Heart" by Janis Joplin at a Karaoke party at the top of her lungs, right in both of their faces.

The whole story is based around her and her friends who all have some kind of issue with men or for one character how her two friends bring too much drama into her life. Gus's friend Georgia only likes jerks who break her heart and leave her sobbing in her bed, while her Gus and April Lee console her. April Lee is married and is always exasperated at her friend's shenanigans. There's Nate, who cheated on Gus, but of course sends mixed signals to her to make her think he's still interested (which, naturally, gives Gus hope-so she's constantly pining away for him throughout the book). Helen, of course, is the epitome of "that girl". The one who flirts with everyone, has guys waiting on her hand and foot, the one we all hate. Henry is Nate's roommate...or rather, Henry is letting Nate live in his to-die-for brownstone. Gus hates him and thinks he is the devil.

Gus is determined to make Nate see the mistake he made by hooking up with Helen, but in the process becomes hounded by Nate's roommate, Henry. Henry is that guy who you look at from far away and think he's gorgeous but completely vain and only interested in girls with perfect bodies and no brains. I'll leave you to determine what could possibly transpire between Gus and Henry. It was pretty obvious from the beginning! :) Gus also deals with Helen who constantly tries to track her down, seeks her out at parties, shows up at Gus's apartment unexpectedly, and answers Nate's phone with Gus tries to talk to him. Can we say, "crazy"?

Basically, this book was drama after drama. I found myself laughing at the horrible luck Gus was having and at all of the situations she put herself in. At the same time, I sided with her when she would be upset at Helen. Don't we all know those girls who never admit when they have done something wrong?? I could totally relate.

After finishing the book, I read the Author's notes and found out that Megan was inspired by the movie, Mean Girls, when she wrote this book. Once I read that, I could totally see how they related to one another. I recommend this book to anyone. I really enjoyed it and it was a very easy read!

1 comment:

Elementary Counselor said...

It's a rip because you pay your money to get in, then you have to pay for any food you get. Yeah, there are a lot of rest. but you have to buy something from each one if you wanna try it. I thought it was like the taste and trade in Mesquite.