Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Speed Session

So my initial goal yesterday was to make it to the gym to do some cross training, but that didn't really happen...here's why:
I got home from work yesterday and immediately got dressed to take the dog for a walk. I took her on a mile walk and then met up with Steve to go to the gym. I THOUGHT and I'm actually pretty positive that I DID tell Steve that I wanted to do 30 minutes of cardio and then do weights for my arms and chest. Upon walking into the gym, I decided, "You know what, I don't want to do the elliptical machine today, I want to do speed work". So I hopped up onto the treadmill and started my workout. About 20 minutes in, I see Steve staring me down. Why? Because he's done. So then I feel rushed to finish. I was hoping to go 5k in distance, but because of the impatient look on his face, I stopped just shy of 3 miles. I was still hoping to get to my arms and chest so instead of a cool down, I immediately started doing bicep curls. Steve motions to me when I start on my first rep for my left arm and says, "I'm done. You can do push ups at home". Ok, so that seriously pissed me off. Look, I don't know why he doesn't know this about me...maybe we haven't worked out together enough for him to realize this (not possible)...but when I'm in workout mode, do NOT mess with me and do NOT rush me. I'm in the zone. I put the weights back on the holder, grabbed my things, and walked out the doors.

Maybe I'm a little pissy right now in the first place, but I'm telling you what-last night, I was a force to be reckoned with. I was fighting mad that he rushed me though my workout and that I didn't get to do what I had set out to do last night. How do explain to my husband enough that I'm training for a flippin' half marathon-with a possible goal of running a full marathon in months to come? Seriously? I can't have my workouts cut short and he won't let me work out in our apartment gym by myself because he's "worried about me". Hopefully, after a few months when we move into this new house (::cross fingers::), I'll be able to afford going back to 24 Hour Fitness. I need my workouts. I need do to cardio AND weights. Not just one of the two. So frustrating. Someone out there has to know how I feel. I seriously hate being rushed, it just doesn't make me happy at all.

On the plus side, I managed to run a 9 minute mile. It took everything I had to finish it, but with some good tunes (Boston, Queen, The Beatles, Journey) I was able to keep on truckin'. I ran the rest, after some walking breaks, at about a 9.3 minute-9.45 minute mile. Not bad, not bad. I just need to keep that up. I also need to start doing some work on my legs with weights to help me get the speed up.

Today is supposed to be our 5 mile run. I'll be wearing my belt to try it out :) I'm pretty excited.

2 comments:

Christina T said...

Boo to Steve! I'm sorry he cut your work out short. I would have politely told him he could go on! :-)

Good luck on your run tonight.

Mariah said...

I wish I could have been polite about it. But he wasn't going to leave me in there by myself. He doesn't like me working out in that gym without him because he's worried someone could come in and hurt me.