Monday, October 12, 2009

Don't let the man (or your ankle) get you down!

Ugh! Before I go into why my ankle's getting me down, I guess I'll start off talking about my week.

After my terrible speed session, I thought I'd go the distance (5 miles to be exact) on Wednesday. Since it was yucky and wet out, I decided the treadmill would have to do. I used to run on the treadmill all the time and have no problems. I could be on it for an hour and not think twice about it. But getting on there and running for 50 minutes was a constant battle. I hated it. The entire time I wanted to stop and just get on the elliptical machine since it was at least somewhat more fun than the treadmill. But I knew that if I did that, I wouldn't run anymore that week and my long run on Saturday would be a beating. So I stuck it out. My routine went like this:
2 minute warm up.
.25 miles 5.8
.25 miles 5.9
.25 miles 6.0 (equals a 10 minute mile pace)
.25 miles 6.1
.25 miles 6.2
.25 miles 6.2
.25 miles 6.1
.25 miles 6.0
.25 miles 5.9
.25 miles 5.8

Then I repeated the cycle. For some of it I had the incline at a 1 or a 2, and then about 2.5 miles in I didn't like the inclines anymore and just kept it at a 0. :) I think what made me feel like I was on it forever was the timer. When I'm running outside, I completely lose track of time and just enjoy the feeling of the wind in my face, the way my heartbeats in my chest, and the way the air fills my lungs. When I'm running, I feel free.

It was a pretty good run, though. After the run I did shoulders and chest and then decided I was done for the day.

Thursday we didn't get to work out. But Friday I hit the gym after work and did 30 minutes on the elliptical machine. I should invest in an elliptical machine. It really is fun to do and I feel like I get a great workout out of it. After the elliptical I was going to do arms and back, but naturally in a small, limited gym that is my apartment gym, someone was on the back machine (I felt like he was on that for-ev-er) and then right when I was going to reach for the 10 lb hand weights (I know, I know..I'm a wuss...but I also just want to tone) an old man grabbed them. Oh well. I was hungry anyway :)

Saturday was my long run. I set out to do 11 miles. It was COLD Saturday morning. But I don't think I've ever been more excited and more nervous about setting out to do a run than I was that day. I think I get these mixed emotions of dread and nervousness and excitement to push myself farther than I've ever been.

The great thing about Saturday? I got to wear my running belt for the first time and my Clif bar shot blocks (in the flavorful black cherry). I decided to wear my long pants and my Nike jacket since it was pretty chilly and ended up wearing the jacket the whole time. While it was cold out, the wind kept me from sweating too much and the temperature was absolutely perfect for running. When we started our run, I don't think I was ready. My heart rate increased considerably and my legs felt like lead. This time it took me about 2 miles or so to finally hit my stride. I think doing the elliptical machine the night before didn't do me any favors... Steve and I kept a pretty good pace for the whole run. When we got all the way around, I turned back to go another 2 miles to complete my 11 mile goal and Steve went to go get Anna so we could take her on a walk. Here's where my problem occurred:
I was literally less than a quarter mile from the mile marker. I was so close to being done, I could taste it. And then all of a sudden I landed wrong on my foot and my ankle turned. Luckily, I was right by a tree where I could grab on and collect myself. I almost started to hyperventilate. The pain from it was probably not that bad, but I think I was caught off guard and also completely pissed at myself for not paying attention and running sloppy that while trying to catch my breath, I was freaking out. I could barely breathe and of course Steve was nowhere to be seen, which also worried me. I managed to continue walking/hobbling and finally I see Steve coming with Anna...Of course, we didn't really get to walk Anna at all, we just walked back to the apartment. I think it's a good sign I could walk on my ankle, but of course it really sucks that it happened...

I don't think I sprained my ankle. I think I just bruised it. I have limited use of it when I rotate it, but it's not painful to walk on anymore. So I just need to take it easy. Elliptical machine for the rest of the week, that's for sure.

On another topic, it looks like we're still set to close this Thursday on our home! Sunday we spent most of the day packing and getting things ready to go. I took Thursday and Friday off from work and I'm about to take Monday off as well to give us another day of rest/unpacking. I'm so excited to be getting out of our apartment and into something we can call our own. I really hope everything works out and that our closing is not delayed. I think I may cry if that happens! Keep your fingers crossed!!

1 comment:

Christina T said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your ankle. I'm glad it's not sprained or broken, but you definitely need to take it easy!

I can't believe you are CLOSING THIS WEEK! That's so exciting. My fingers are crossed that your close goes well. :-)