Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Back in the Saddle Again

Well, I'm finally back on my feet and running!

Last night after work I convinced Steve to go on a run with me. We went a little over 3 miles. It was about 50 degrees out, so I wore my long running pants and my longsleeve DRC half marathon shirt and my Nike jacket. I slipped on my brace and felt good to go. A few weeks ago I ordered an armband for my iPhone and decided to try it out last night. I thought it worked really well. The key holder felt a little loose, but other than that I had no problems. While we were running I played my Pandora radio so that we could listen to classic rock. I wish I could listen to music and also track my run at the same time. Unfortunately, I found out I couldn't which really disappointed me.

The run went really well. I felt strong the whole time and my ankle felt fine. Though towards the end it did start feeling a little stiff. Since it's dark out when we get home, I carried a small flashlight and Steve wore a red-bike light on his back so that people could see us. I really focused on the sidewalk with the flashlight. I didn't want to step on an acorn or not see a rise in the cement and re-injure myself.

It just felt so good to get back out there. Especially the way the weather felt. It's just refreshing. I'm really proud of myself for doing the 3 miles, especially considering I've basically been out of the game for about a month now. I'd like to run again tonight if I can...maybe drive up to the track and run on it for 4-5 miles or just run to it (if Steve would let me). We have a lot of chores to do around the house this week before Saturday, so I don't know if I'll be able to do it. But I really need the exercise and I only have 9 days until the 8 mile Turkey Trot. Also, I'd like to go run with a group on Saturday and I know that they ran 12 miles last weekend. I'd be really proud of myself if somehow I could get back up to at least 9 by this weekend. That would require daily running and I certainly need it.

Last night, I also managed to do some crunches. I felt so weak! I was really disappointed in myself. I remember when my friend Chavayee and I would do 10 sets of 30 crunches of all different kinds and then we started doing even more. I could do 10 minutes of ab work and not feel worn out. This will be remedied, for sure! I can't believe I let myself go like that. I used to do them while watching TV and I got out of the habit. Guess it's time to get back in it, huh?

So that's the update. 9 days until the turkey trot and 26 days until the half marathon!!

2 comments:

Christina T said...

Eeeee! I'm so glad to hear you are back out there. Good luck Mariah.

Courtney said...

Wishing you lots of luck in your reconditioning. I know you can do it!