Monday, November 2, 2009

Falling Off the Wagon

Technically, I didn't "fall" off the wagon...it sort of rolled over my foot and then my whole body.

It's been a good three weeks since I ran 11 miles. I was ready for my 1/2 marathon...just waiting for November 1st to get here. Of course, the very end of that 11 miles I rolled my ankle which I decided to lay off of for a week. So that week I took it easy. I tried to focus on getting better and getting out of my apartment. We moved that next weekend into our home. Of course, the move was not exactly smooth. We were without a fridge for a week and Saturday night, while trying to move a dresser, it was dropped and naturally landed on my big toe. I was seriously worried I was going to lose my toenail. It was really painful. Luckily, I still have a toenail...though it looks rather damaged..but of course that set me for another week of not running. :( I was still pretty positive that I'd be able to run the 1/2 the next week. Until...last Sunday. I woke up feeling a bit under the weather but was still determined to finally go for my first run in 2 weeks and my first run in our new neighborhood. Steve used to run cross country in high school, so he showed me the trails they used to run. We ran around Canyon Creek. It was perfect training! Hilly, lots of turns, good sidewalks...We ran about 6.7 miles before I decided "Ok, I'm really not feeling so hot. I think I'm done". It was a slow run, but I was still proud of myself for getting out there and running when I wasn't feeling exactly "stellar". But the rest of the day my body continued to go down hill. Eventually by mid afternoon, I was laid up on the sofa watching the Cowboy game trying not to move. I found out a few days later I had the flu. Big time bummer. I decided not to risk relapsing and skipped out on the 1/2 marathon that happened on Sunday.

Thursday, Steve and I went to Run On! and picked up my race packet. It was so depressing. I got this awesome shirt and my bib even had my name on it! "Mariah" over my bib number...how cute is that? I was like, "Oh my gosh! What a bummer!" I did get some pretty awesome swag, even though I didn't get to run the race. We got a discounted rate to go to any Stars game during the month of November, a few bottled drinks, a packet of Clif bar Shot blocks, and coupons for Run On!. Still, it's so anti-climactic to get your bib and swag knowing you won't be able to run the race in a few days. I woke up Sunday a little down in the dumps knowing that I could be running my first half marathon, but instead I was at my house taking it easy...

Oh well...There's the one in December I'm highly looking forward to. I'm determined to finish strong. It's also inspired me to look into signing up for more races. If I can do this half marathon, I can do a full. I've also decided to get back on the "diet" wagon. When I went to the doctor I was pretty disappointed the number on the scale. I'd like to see that change a little bit before the Holiday season approaches.

I'm starting my training again hopefully tomorrow morning. I'd like to run 4.5 miles to start out. I think it's hilarious when I say "my short run is going to be 5 miles". Seriously? Remember in July when that was my "long" run? Yeah, I've come a long way. It's great to look back and feel like I'm accomplishing so much and really proving myself every time I get out there and hit the pavement. It's really empowering. It's also incredible to look back and think that before it was like pulling teeth to get out there and run and now I love it. It's a great way to start the day. The cool air in your face, the beating of your heart, the sound of your feet hitting the cement. I love it. I really do. And I really miss it. I can't wait to get back out there!

1 comment:

Christina T said...

Mariah - I know that you are disappointed you didn't run yesterday, but your body needed the break! And I know that you will kick major butt in the race in December. I'm so proud of you either way, because you've come such a long way since you started running again. Did you honestly think when you started that you'd be running a 1/2 marathon? You seriously ROCK!