Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Love Sprouts

I've been really getting into a lot of healthy blogs lately and I constantly find myself jealous of all the delicious and healthy foods they eat. Everyone is always talking about Chobani or KIND bars or rice milk...It just made me curious.

Steve and I live by a Sprouts store. We hadn't ever been inside but I was determined to go this past weekend. I know I wanted some grapefruit and Walmart doesn't have the greatest selection, so I went with the intention of getting some produce and being on my way.

Didn't happen.

That store is like heaven. I swear to you. I was so excited! I got most of my produce (grapefruit, zucchini, squash, lettuce, onion, cucumber, green onion, and of course-asparagus). My new obsession? Chobani yogurt.


This is just a stock photo...but I had this flavor last night. I really enjoyed it. I put flax seed granola in it and it was Oh.My.Gosh yum! It's a greek yogurt, so it's a lot thicker than the yogurts like Yoplait and Dannon. What I like about it, is that is has about 15 grams of protein in it. It filled me up last night and it was the perfect amount. Lots of times when I have yogurt, I still feel hungry afterwards. With Chobani I felt fulfilled and satisfied. I have a pineapple flavor waiting for me and I can't wait! I only got 2 because I was afraid that maybe I wouldn't like it...but it was delicious. I can't wait to try the other flavors!

I also bought some KIND healthy snack bars. They were $5 for 5 at Sprouts. I had also read about these bars on some blogs and thought it would be interesting to try them. Steve and I split the apricot and nut bar. It was delicious! It tasted so homemade and the flavor was intense. I enjoyed it so much more than all the other fitness bars I've tried. Most of those taste pretty terrible if I'm being honest and don't leave me feeling very good afterwards. I liked how natural it tasted and how I was able to enjoy every bite. I highly recommend trying them!

All in all, I spent $20 on produce this weekend! And that doesn't bother me in the least! Steve is convinced that as soon as we can we're going to start a garden and that we won't have to spend near as much on produce as we do now. A few months ago I would have scoffed at his plans for a garden...but now I'm getting excited and I am looking forward to being able to eat things I've grown myself.

I have noticed a lot of the blogs I follow are primarily vegetarians and it's got me wondering how hard it would be for me to forgo eating meat. My husband would never go for it. Every dinner he has must have some form of meat in it, whereas I could be just fine having a tomato basil soup. I just find myself enjoying vegetables more and the way I feel after I eat them. We'll see.

As far as my eating obsessions are concerned I've started to evolve.

One thing that I have changed in my diet, that I truly think has helped me is my drinking. I used to drink 2-3 glasses of wine on the weekends and sometimes during the weekdays...now I have one and savor it. I drink it slower and enjoy it.

I've also been cooking from scratch more. Lots of homemade salads with hard boiled eggs, alfalfa and bean sprouts, cucumber, celery, and avocado with balsamic vinegar (Steve uses the more calorie packed Ranch dressing). We have salads at least 4 times a week. I also enjoy making squash and zucchini in the skillet.

My sweet tooth has also slowed down. I have started satisfying it with small portions of chocolate or ice cream when needed. I know to never avoid it because when I do, it usually comes back with avengence. So now I have a bag of Dove dark chocolate bites that I eat one of each day around 11:30 and I usually savor it as much as I can.

Other than that, working out has also helped me with my goals. It's been great these past few weeks now that I am finally starting to see the fruits of my labor. My legs are more toned, my arms, and my waist are looking smaller. It's just really encouraging. Other than the scale here at work...which says I weigh in at 148. When I weigh myself at home though, I weigh 145. I trust my scale more than I do the one we're using here at work. I know this may sound silly but I know my body and I do NOT weigh 148. I know it's only 3 pounds but I know how I feel and look at 148 and how I feel and look at 145 and I'm definitely 145. Hopefully next week the scale here at work will be more of a friend than a foe and actually weigh me correctly. It wouldn't matter to me so much if I weren't trying to win this stupid contest. And actually, I wish I had re-weighed myself the first week when it said I weighed 145 because even then I wasn't 145. Oh well...now I sound like one of those crazy people who can't accept how much they weigh... haha

2 comments:

Kazmowife said...

Great job! Check out the Dallas Farmers Market too for your produce. Not only is it all local, but they will give you tips on growing your own garden.

Christina T said...

I always forget about Sprouts! I really hope there is one close to our new place... if not, I might have to drive!