Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Favorite Literary Couples

Ok, so Operawife and Smash have influenced me to want to do my list of favorite literary couples! It was challenging to come up with a list that was different than some of theirs, but I remembered quite a few characters.

Here are my five:

5) Emma Woodhouse and Mr. George Knightley from Emma by Jane Austen. This book was so good. It's been forever since I read it and I thought the movie was rather cute. I loved how Emma thought she was an amazing matchmaker and tried to make herself fall in love with Frank Churchill, because they make a stunning couple. She doesn't realize she loves Mr. Knightly until her dear friend Harriett confides in Emma that she loves him. Of course in the end, every one lives happily ever after....but it is such a lovely story.



4) Landon Carter and Jamie Sullivan from Nicholas Sparks' A Walk to Remember. This is such a good book. Gah, I loved it. Landon is this popular guy at school, gets into trouble and is forced to do a play for his school in order to avoid suspension. He gets to know Jamie, the Preacher's daughter. She tells him in the very beginning that he has to promise not to fall in love with her and he scoffs at the notion. They become really close, practicing the lines for their play and spending time together afterwards.Landon falls in love with her. Eventually, Jamie lets Landon know that she has cancer and he stays by her side. He even proposes to her and she accepts. The title comes from her walk down the aisle when she is still so very sick. Landon becomes a better man for being with Jamie and Jamie gets to live the remainder of her life to the fullest. It's such a beautiful story.


3) Romeo and Juliet. William Shakespeare. What more can I say? It's the romance that most girls swoon over. It's about a couple who can't be together because of their families hatred toward one another, but who try anyway. What a tragedy... Such a great piece of literature.



2) Noah Calhoun and Allie Hamilton from The Notebook. Swoon!! I read this book from cover to cover at least 3 times. It's amazing. I still cry everytime I read it. The story is about older Noah reading their love story to Allie, who's memory is slipping and hardly remembers anything anymore. He reads the story every day in hopes that her memory will return and he'll have a few moments with his beloved Allie again. They met during the summer when they were both 17. Her family does not approve of her relationship with Noah (because they come from money and Noah is poor). She doesn't hear from him for years and eventually gets engaged to a wealthy soldier. It is then that she sees a picture in the paper of Noah standing next to a 200 year old plantation home that he had promised her he would rebuild and repair years ago. She goes to him and of course, they fall back in love. She has to choose between her fiance or Noah and we all know who she picks. It's an amazing book. The movie was good-but I much prefer the book.

1) Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Seriously, the best couple. I love how she thinks less of him because he's got money and how he think her family is a little too crazy (especially the mother). The book is about Elizabeth and her sisters and their overbearing mother who is desperately trying to set them up with men. Elizabeth meets Mr. Darcy at Mr. Bingley's ball. Basically, the whole book Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy have conflicted feelings but finally Mr. Darcy tells her he loves her. She, on the other hand, is mad at Mr. Darcy for ruining her sister's chances with Mr. Bingley. I hate going on and on about it...But of course, finally Mr. Darcy makes things right and Mr. Bingley and Jane are reunited and Elizabeth finally realizes she loves Mr. Darcy and was too proud to see the man he really was. Great movie, too. Both the one with Collin Firth and the one with Kiera Knightly.

So that's it. Those are my couples. Makes me want to go watch Pride and Prejudice.

4 comments:

TexasRed said...

Very interesting idea. Going to have to think about these. Could I just list all the Jane Austen couples?

Let me know what you think about Second Chances. I read it this past fall & would love to discuss

OperaWife said...

Great choices!! I still maintain that I'm the only female on the planet who doesn't die over Nicholas Sparks. I just don't get why there has to be such an element of FREAKING SAD in all his stuff. Maybe I just have enough of that in real life. :)

Anonymous said...

Must. Read. The Notebook.

Elementary Counselor said...

Your Top 4 are mine...Your number 5 is good too, probably in my top 10. ;) hehe.