Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Half Marathon Training Guides

Here are a few training guides that I'll probably be basing my workouts on:


http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm

I really enjoy this one and Steve actually used this as his training in preparation for the White Rock Marathon's Relay last December.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-6851-0,00.html

This one looks a little complicated. Lots of speed work and things that I'm not exactly interested in. I know it's going to take speed work to improve my time, but honestly, the only thing I'm really concerned about is finishing the 1/2 without having to walk and do it safely. Plus, I'm just not a fast runner. I have a feeling the fastest I'll ever get is about a 9.30 but even then I don't think I'd be running a 1/2 that fast.

I think the hardest thing for me is the "rest" days. I HATE resting. I feel like I need to work out in some way, shape, or form 5-6 days a week. So the in between days are probably going to be the hardest for me.

Today is my "rest" day. We kind of started on the wrong day for all of this training (a Sunday). Oh well, somehow I'll get on track.

Steve thinks we should do the intermediate 5k training to start out since we've both not been consistent with our runs. Though, I feel a little held back, it's probably best that we do take it slow in order to avoid burn out and injuries. We really should invest in a good watch to help us keep track of mileage/time/etc because of the drills. It's also going to be hard to do all this speed work when we don't know the distance. We may have to go to a school track to get that done.

Here's the 5k intermediate, as well as links to the beginners and advanced schedules:

http://www.halhigdon.com/5K%20Training/5-Kinter.htm

Honestly, I'm glad I'm taking a rest day. My legs were shot yesterday after running so much on Sunday and then busting major a$$ on the elliptical. I had every intention to take Anna on a walk, but since it rained most of the day it just didn't happen. I did do crunches, though (no push ups..I got lazy). I ended up taking a steamy hot bath around 8:30 to try to relieve my tight, achy legs. And also, my shoulders were so tense that Steve had to give me a massage. I have no idea why they were so tense, but it seriously hurts (even now, though not as much as yesterday) to lift my arms above my head.

Today Steve and I will take Anna on a 2 mile walk. It's our "rest" day, but we're still going to do that. Plus, we'll go to the gym and lift some weights. I'll probably just do our set of bicep curls and shoulder presses circuit that we got off of Men's Health. We were going to get up at 5:30 to do it, but the thought of getting up early 2 days in a row didn't appeal to me this morningh!

No comments: