Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rest Days and Running Days

Steve and I feel pretty much the same about our "rest" days. While trying to build up our endurance and trying to train, we also know that sitting out the day of "rest" makes us a little stir crazy.

Tuesday was our "rest day" so we decided to go for a 2 mile walk instead. We walked a pretty fast pace for most of it, when we weren't trying to train Anna not to pull on her leash.

Yesterday was our 3 mile run day. I don't know how fast it was or anything considering we haven't invested in a good watch yet...and then there's Anna...and then there's Steve who hasn't been running in ooohhh 4-5 months. It was a really good run though. I felt great, I paced myself, I feel like I could have gone even further.

I am frustrated with the dog though. When it's just me and her it's OK, but when Steve is with us and one of us is either trailing behind or up ahead, Anna wants to be with us both. So while I was ahead of Steve, she'd keep looking back and try to stop to see him. That was really frustrating. And after running for a while, I'm hot and tired and I just want to let go of the leash and run by myself. At one point, Steve took her and I got to run without her and it was so liberating! :) I love my dog, but sometimes I wish I didn't have to worry about taking her with me on the runs. Maybe when we get a house I won't have to take her as much.

Today we were going to get up and go for a 2 mile walk since it's another rest day, but when our alarm went off at 5:50 I heard thunder outside and sprinkles on our window. Not another 10 minutes later the rain was pouring down, pounding on our window and the thunder and lightening was crazy. Hopefully this will all clear out and I can still take Anna on a walk when I get home from work. We'll be going to the gym this evening to do weights as well. So a busy evening lies ahead.

1 comment:

Christina T said...

You seriously rock Mariah. I am so impressed with your daily updates and your running! I think it's awesome that you are training for a marathon. We might just all have to come out to cheer you on!