Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dallas Turkey Trot

Before my lovely accident, I was fortunate enough to be able to run the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot in downtown Dallas. What an experience that was!

Steve and I got up early and headed out to ride the DART down to the race. I don't know what I was expecting as far as the DART was concerned. Space to sit? There certainly wasn't any. It was standing room only when we got on at Arapaho Station. I looked at Steve like, "What's going to happen at the next 8 stops?" People got on with strollers, one lady even got on with a big wagon for her kids! WTF? I really appreciate that you're bringing your kids along to this awesome, family event, but seriously, could you not have taken your car and not taken up the entire aisle? Seriously. Towards the end of our ride, it got more and more packed. I felt like a sardine. Normally, I'm not claustrophobic, but by the time the train hit the Convention Center station, I was ready to get off.

What was even more frustrating than the DART was probably the port-a-potty lines. Holy cow. Talk about not enough! Steve and I stood in line for at least 30 minutes waiting to use them. The race even started before we could get out of line.

Supposedly, there were over 37,000 racers at the Turkey Trot. That's more than the population of the town I'm from! How crazy is that? Once we were finally able to join the race, it took a good 2 miles before the road opened up and we were dodging people left and right. It was extremely frustrating to be around all the walkers and the dogs. I had one dog literally stop feet in front of us and begin pooping in the middle of the road. And Steve and I both almost ran into parking meters about 3 times.

Once the road cleared up though, everything was pretty smooth sailing. We ran around the JFK memorial, on into the Oak Cliff area. We ran over bridges, which was pretty freaking amazing, and around the now pile of steel that used to be Reunion Arena.

Seriously, it was great and I am proud of us. I hate to say it, but I owned Steve during the race. The whole time. And naturally, at the finish, he decided to kick it in gear and finish slightly ahead of me. Which is awesome since of course, that's where the cameras are. Whatever. I know the truth and I know that I had to stop on more than 3 occasions to search for him or walk with him. I don't know when I'll let him live that down.

But in all seriousness, it was a fun race. We ate some yogurt and drank lots of water and got back on the DART and actually got seats this time. And by the time we got home it was "feast" time. It was nice to be able to eat a little bit of everything and not feel guilty about it all day. I think this should become a tradition for us. It would be even more fun if we could get more of our family involved in the race, but I know that they'd probably only be willing to do the 5k and that we'd have to walk it and to me, I'd rather run so that I can eat more :)

To put me in the Christmas Spirit I'll also add a picture of my Christmas tree that I bought, put up, and decorated this past weekend:

No comments: