Friday, December 4, 2009

Races in the Future

I decided today that instead of being complete down and out about not being able to run my first half marathon, that I'd look to the future and see what races will be around in the coming months. Here's a list of possible contenders that I'm contemplating signing up for to get me back on track after my unfortunate ankle sprain:

*Dallas Jingle Bell run on December 22nd. 5K 6:30 at the Hilton Anitole.

*Plano Pacers 8K Holiday run December 26th 8:00 am

*New Years Run January 1st 5M 10:00 am Norbuck/Flag Pole Hill

*DRC Frigid 5K/10K run January 2nd 8:00 am Winfrey Point

*Run On! Too Cold To Hold 5K/15K January 17th 8:30 am at Winfrey Point

*The Texas Half hosted by Run On! January 30th 8:00 Winfrey Point

*Cupid's Run 5K February 13th at 8:00 am White Rock Lake

*Cupid's Couple Race in McKinney 5K/10K February 14th McKinney,TX

*Cowtown Half Marathon February 27th, 7:30 am Sundance Square

*Rock 'n Roll Dallas Half Marathon March 14th Dallas City Hall (it would be amazing if the website would actually list the start time of the race. I'm going to assume 7:30-8:00)

*Big D Marathon April 11th, 8:00 am Cotton Bowl-26.2

Ok, so I may be ambitious to think that I could possibly complete a full marathon by April. But I've had my eye on that for at least a month and a half now. As of today I have 128 days until the full marathon. That's 4 months. Let's not forget that two weeks ago I was able to complete 13 miles. I think if I am able to train hard and heal properly that I can do this. I won't sign up for it yet. Nothing would suck more than to go ahead and pay for any of these races and then have to bow out because I didn't give myself enough time to heal. But I think this whole "not running" thing really puts me in a downer mood and I can't believe how much I've come to rely on the way I feel after a run to motivate me.

I'd really like to sign up for the races around the holidays because let's face it-I like to eat. I like to eat a lot. And not once did I feel guilty on Thanksgiving because I kept thinking, "I ran 8 miles today. I'm good". But I also didn't pig out either...so hoping that I have the will power to have small amounts of whatever I want and running on top of it, makes me think that possibly I'll lose weight (what, what???) and feel great during the holidays instead of lethargic and full like I normally am.

I think that's a pretty good assortment of races, don't you? I've got a few at the end of this month, a few in January, a few February, one big one in March, and an even bigger one in April.

The only thing that sucks about wanting to do these races is having to pay for them. It's hard to rationalize paying for a race that I could really run on my own if I wanted to. There's no comparison, though, when it actually comes down to running the race along fellow runners and athletes who are serious about the sport. It's the most amazing feeling and it's so motivating. We shall see.

No comments: