Wednesday, December 9, 2009

New Years Resolutions and Goals

So we're 22 days away from 2010 and I've decided to go ahead and set some goals for the new year and (hopefully) new me.

*Run a marathon.
- I'd like to participate in the White Rock Marathon next December since I've been injured and unable to participate in this years half. I'm pretty sure that if I allow myself to heal correctly, I'll be able to accomplish this goal with no major problems.

I'm going to start re-training hopefully by the end of next week. I'm still in my "boot" for the ankle injury that happened a few Monday's ago, so I'm taking it easy but I'm feeling antsy and need to get back on the road.

*Run 3-4 half marathons. In order to prep for my big goal, I'm going to need some help staying on track and signing up for some half marathons should be great. Plus, with each half marathon, I hope to improve my time. I'll get to that soon.

*Lose weight. My goal currently is 15 pounds, but 20 would be awesome. I've been tossing around the idea of joining Weight Watchers to help me get on track since it's worked so well for my sister and mother in law. I guess it depends on whether I can afford it! I do know that I'm rejoining my gym soon and I can't wait to get back on those cardio machines and back on the weight benches. Seriously, I'm starting to get anxious. By my 26th birthday (209 days from now or about 7 months), I'd love to be down to 135 and by the White Rock Marathon 130. If I even get close to either of those numbers, I'll be proud, so I don't want to set myself up for disappointment if I don't hit 135 exactly. I got down to 134 in HS my senior year, so it's been a long time since I've seen that number and I haven't seen 130 since probably 7th grade.

*A personal goal that would flippin' rock my world is if I could do any amount of pull ups by myself. I'm determined to get to at least 10 by the end of the year. My upper body has never been strong and I've always envied others who make it look so easy.

*As far as times realistically I'd be amazed if I ran a marathon in 5 1/2 hours. My dream is to run it in under 5 hours. Highly doubtful, but something that could be attainable whether it happens this year or next. For half marathons, I don't really care about the time of my first half. But I do have the goal of improving my time by 1 minute each race. A goal that I'd like to get to is a 10 minute mile pace for my half marathon by the end of the year. Before I hurt my ankle, I was at about a 12 minute mile pace...which was OK but not what I'd like to see later on down the road.

Unfitness related:
*I'd love to learn some new recipes and start thinking "outside box" for dinners. I'd like to incorporate my slow cooker more often since soon I'll be working out either early in the morning or after work.

*Call friends more often. I'm really bad about calling people. It would be one thing if I got off work about an hour sooner than I do. It's just so difficult for me to pick up the phone when I get home. I don't know why, but it is. I just find it to be personal time with my husband and I would rather sit and watch TV with him than pick up the phone and leave the room.

*Teaching. Please God just let me get a teaching job come this August. That's really the big one for me. Over running a marathon, over losing weight. I just want to teach. I could go on and on about how useless I feel in the position I hold right now, but most of my readers already know it!


As far as goals for this blog, I am hoping to find or buy an adapter for my camera so that I can start uploading pictures. My blog is so boring without them!! *here's hoping* I'll be more consistent and I'll definitely be tracking my progress more often. All these injuries leave me feeling like I have nothing to say, so hopefully in a few weeks, you'll see more posts coming.

1 comment:

Christina T said...

Mariah - I'm pulling for you! For all your goals. :-) I know that you'll ROCK the White Rock Marathon in December. You are definitely an inspiration.