Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Warning: Major Bummer Post

So, my quest to run a half marathon has been cut short. At least in time for the Dallas White Rock marathon on December 13th.

Monday night after work, I decided to go for a short 5k run. I knew the weather was going to be pretty nasty for the next couple of days and wanted to keep myself accountable for running.

Steve was running late from work, so I decided to head out by myself and get back before he got home. I put my brace on my right ankle, that still swells when I run from the previous ankle injury, grabbed a flashlight and was out the door. I felt great. I tried to pick up my pace and just focused on running and trying to land correctly on feet.

About a mile in (I'm guessing, it could have been a little more than that) I came across a section of sidewalk that had some leaves and acorns in a pile. I saw it, I expected it, I was ready. Then all of a sudden as my left foot hit the ground, it literally bent on it's side and down I went. How ironic that this would happen to the ankle that I hadn't injured before.

My heart sunk, I stifled a scream, and literally just turned right around and started hobbling home. It hurt. Like crazy. I forced myself not to cry and just focused on putting one foot in front of the other. I stopped my Pandora radio on my iPhone and dialed Steve, but he was on the DART and unreachable. I thought about calling Steve's parents but figured they were working late and didn't think about calling my friend and co-worker who also lives in the area until I was probably a few blocks from home. I was so angry. I wanted to throw my cell phone, I wanted to throw my flash light. I wanted to scream obscenities. I just knew this was the end of the road for my goal of running the half marathon at the White Rock race.

The farther I walked, the more painful it was. The pain was shooting up my leg and down my foot. I just knew I couldn't stop walking, I had to keep going until I got home. Once I got there, I sat down on the recliner and started bawling as I took off my shoes and socks to survey the damage. It was already starting to swell pretty nicely and after sitting, I could barely put any weight on it.

So I sat in the chair, crying my eyes out until I could compose myself enough to slowly and painfully hobble to the freezer and grab a baggie full of ice. Then I just waited for Steve to get home. I sat in the silence and just cried. Since July I've been working on this goal. I've had my eye on the prize and I was doing so well. Just a week and a half ago I ran 13 miles! 4 days ago I ran the 8 mile Turkey Trot in Dallas! I mean, seriously!

Once Steve got home he took care of me, he brought me some soup, and re-wrapped my ankle with more ice and saran wrap. Then at 8:30 we started seriously talking about heading the ER because I was concerned at how painful my ankle was. I can't remember it ever feeling that bad whenever I tried to put pressure on it.

So at 9:00 we got bundled up and headed over to the ER with books in hand, prepared for a long night. Luckily, the ER was completely empty and we got in really quickly. They put me in a wheelchair and when they took x-rays, kept me on the little gurney. It felt like a little bit of overkill to me, but hey, I'll take whatever I can get.

The doctor said it was just a bad sprain and to stay off of it for at least a week or two. I'm not taking any chances, so 2 weeks it is. I need to set up an appointment with an orthopedic doctor so he can check out my feet, but this just confirms that from now on I need to run with 2 braces :) I was given a prescription for some Motrin, a big boot for my ankle, and crutches and was sent on my way.

Here I am waiting in the ER.



We finally got back home around midnight and I promptly fell asleep. The past few days have really been exhausting. The crutches are friggin killing my underarms. And I can slowly walk with just my boot...but it's like I'm a slow 80 year old, so I prefer the pain of the crutches over the slowness of the boot.

This has been really hard for me. I'm usually an on the go person. My walking pace is like a speed walker, so if anyone knows me, they know this is extremely frustrating for me. I only know one speed and this one isn't working for me.

It's also embarrassing being at work and being like, "Hey, guys, can someone go grab me a coffee" because Lord knows how I'd get a hot beverage without a lid to my desk when I've got to hold on to a pair of crutches. Luckily, we have bottled water so that's been easy to get myself.

To give a comparison. This is what my ankle looked like before:


Here's a shot of my swollen right ankle the last time I sprained it. Ironically, the right one looks like my normal ankle right now and my left is as swollen as my right one was.



On the bright side of things, not being able to do this race will open up another opportunity for someone who was put on the wait list. So at least someone will get to run.

Mark my words, next year, I will be running the White Rock marathon. And instead of the half, I've got my eyes set on the full. I can do this and I will do this and I'll find a way to not hurt myself :) And from now on, I'll be running on a track or a treadmill or wide open trails. No more sidewalks and bumpy roads. Those are CLEARLY bad for me.

No comments: