Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

This book was really good. I have to admit it was a little hard to get into after reading Twilight, but once the story started, I wanted to know more...

I loved the description Kim Edwards used to describe everything. You could see everything so clearly, the color of Norah's coat and how her eyes were the same color green. The color of the flowers, etc. It was wonderful. I really enjoy good visualization. It really helps me connect to the book and the story.

I have to say that it was a sad story, of course there was happiness, but it still made me sad. I think it's just the prejudice that people with Down Syndrome or any other mental defect are faced with on a day to day basis. I cannot imagine what it would have been like in the 1960's where this book begins. There are so many misconceptions and wrong judgements about people with Down Syndrome and their abilities. I enjoyed reading about Caroline and how she dealt with overcoming the stereotypes of children with Down Syndrome. How she fought for her daughter and other children's rights for an equal education.

I really enjoyed this book. I liked the way it was laid out and I liked Kim Edward's style. It was a really great story and I would definitely recommend this book to others.

5 comments:

OperaWife said...

This has nothing to do with the book, b/c I haven't read it, but I just wanted to say I agree with you on the discrimination issue. I have a relative with Down's Syndrome, and it never even OCCURED to me to judge her or anyone like her. I guess I can thank my parents for raising me correctly in that regard.

Anonymous said...

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews of this book. I'm glad you liked it. Heavy books can be hard to read, but are so rewarding in the end. I'm going to have to give this one a shot. :o)

Mariah said...

I have to admit I struggled in some places to keep reading, but all in all, I'm glad I read it. I think it really sends a message. I saw that's been made into a Lifetime movie with Dermott Mulroney (however you spell his name) in it. I might have to see if that's coming on again in the near future.

Carie said...

I have read it and liked it. I cried at several parts right along with Norah and Caroline.

Anonymous said...

I tagged you. :o)