Monday, January 25, 2010

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein


Have I ever mentioned that I'm a BIG dog person? Like, if I could go and adopt every single dog in the city pet shelter, I'd so do it. I love dogs. I love their sweet kisses. I love the way their whole bottom end swings back and forth when they're so excited they're wagging their tail too hard. I love when they look up at you with those eyes that you just can't say "no" to. I love how they know when you're having a bad day and they come over and nuzzle you. I just love dogs. I especially love my dog, Anna. Before I go into the book, I'll tell you about my dog Anna.

Here's Anna the way she looked when we first adopted her:


Anna was supposed to be part black lab part "who the heck knows". Now we're thinking she's more flat coat retriever, than lab. We adopted her from a foster mom that I found on Petfinder back in June 2008. She was a little bundle of fur, only weighing in a 8 pounds when we got her. She was a breeze to potty train and the only problem we had with her, was her ability to chew on the corners of our walls (down by the molding). Now that we live in a house, the only problem we have is her ability to dig holes all in our yard. I'm sure we're around the 15 holes count mark by now. I don't know what she's digging for, but I'm sure it's in rebellion of not taking her on enough walks or just being lonely.

Here's Anna now:


We want to get her a playmate and yesterday we almost did. We found this black lab mix at Petsmart, who is probably double Anna's size and we really want to find her a companion...We decided to wait it out and not make a rash decision (which we're prone to doing-Anna was DEFINITELY a rash decision). When we came home after our trip, I looked at Anna and I got sad. I don't know why but I just did. I looked at her and I thought, "I don't know how I could ever love another dog as much as I love you". I don't know how I could bring a dog home and connect with it as much as I connect with her. I'm sure we will whenever the right time comes and we find a dog that we have to bring home...but it's just hard to fathom at this point.

Anyway, so that brings to me to this story. I seriously loved this book. It was so touching and such a well written book. The book is written from the point of view of Enzo, the dog. He's a Labrador mix and he's very smart. He loves his owner, Denny, and he loves watching TV. He loves the Weather channel, he loves racing. Denny is a race car driver and a mechanic who lives in Washington. The story tells of Enzo and how he believes that when he dies he will come back as a human. It begins with Enzo realizing that he is dieing and then he begins reflecting on his life and his life with Denny and his family. It's a touching story that goes between his story telling, to telling of race car moments and how they relate to the way humans react to life. The book had me in tears, especially at the end, but it was definitely a happy ending and I walked away with a sense of calm.

It definitely made me want to go home and give Anna a hug and tell her how much I love her. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves dogs and loves a good story.

And for those dog lovers out there, I just know you'll love it!

No comments: