Monday, January 11, 2010

A Good Day

Today marks the beginning of our office competition- a version of "The Biggest Loser". While I was nervous about the weigh in, I was also pretty sure I knew what I would see on the scale.

Last Monday, I weighed myself at the gym. I used the dreaded "dr's office" style scale. God, I hate those suckers. The height and weight I'm at, I'm usually always wondering whether or not I'll have to move the big dial from "100" to "150" or the smaller dial up to the "50" marker. It's just a big head game and it usually always leaves me feeling pissed off at myself. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I've been happy with the number on doctor's scales.

Anyway, so that number sucked. A nasty egg. 153. I worked out 4 times last week. Each time was a sweaty, heart pounding success (except of course the crappy run). And I really tried to watch what I ate. I wasn't perfect, but I certainly did a better job than I had been doing.

Today was like a freaking dream. I was expecting the scale to be pretty close, if not more than what I had seen last week. Surprise, surprise when it clocked me in at 145. I looked up at my office manager (who is keeping track of the weight loss for us) in total disbelief and said, "No freaking way". Of course, the only way I can really find out how accurate that scale is compared to the scale I used last week, is to hop back on the scale at the gym tonight when I go work out. I mean, sure it's probably "off", but it certainly can't be 8 pounds off!

And this little nugget of goodness I've been given today, has me totally motivated to kick a$$ and take names at this competition. Granted, I would have rather seen this happen NEXT week when it counts, but it's still got my spirits up.

With that number (and hopefully I'll get the same number tonight on the scale at the gym or at least a few pounds close to what the scale said), I've got 15 pounds to get to my goal and 20 to get to my "you must be kidding yourself" goal.

By the way, tomorrow is also the next "picture" post. Maybe I'll see a difference? I'll take a different picture by the way-less clothing this time. My husband, Steve, looked at my pictures and said, "You should wear just your sports bra and some shorts. Then you'll really see a difference in your legs, your stomach, abs and arms". I agree! No more hiding behind the tops for pictures! If the amazing and inspiring people on The Biggest Loser can get up there and bare it all-so can I! I may not like it, but hey-if you put it all out there, you've got nothing to hide!

Along with taking pictures of myself, I'm thinking about taking pictures of the delicious meals I've been preparing. I might actually tonight. My new favorite thing to prepare as a side dish is anything asparagus. I just LOVE it. Not only is it delicious, it also fills me up. I've wrapped it in bacon and my last attempt I wrapped it in prosciutto. I've prepared it with rosemary and bay leaf and last night I made it with 1 tablespoon of butter, 1 clove of garlic (pressed), and one jalepeno (seeded and chopped). Delicious!

Tonight's dinner is stuffed bell peppers. I made them with turkey, long grain rice, onion, one clove of garlic, diced tomatoes, with some shredded cheddar cheese on top. It looked amazing last night when I cooked it, so I can't wait to try it. So along with the bell peppers, I'll probably make asparagus (since I'm obsessed), and maybe some black eyed peas.

My "desserts" lately have consisted of either hot chocolate, a glass of wine, or a bowl of Kashi cereal.

Anyway, I'm feeling pretty good right now. Really proud of myself-even if the scale is a little "off". Now I just want to hit it even harder!


I just read a few really inspiring blogs about women who have run the Disney Marathon yesterday, and I have to say-it's got me even more motivated to start running again and just do it! I think I can! I think I can! :)


Can't wait to hit the gym!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! Congrats!!! And I bet the scale isn't as off as you think it is. :o)

Christina T said...

I'd personally REALLY love it if you posted some of your recipes. Eating right is the hardest thing in the world for me! I'm learning. :-)

You are inspiring Mariah. I just hope you realize that.